7.12.2010

Tomato Magic

Okay ya'll I had to post this cause I made it for dinner tonight and it was AWESOME!  Try it and let me know what ya think!  Hop on over to Erin's blog and let her know too!  And how convenient that I made this last night and then read about this pie contest over at Shabby Apple.  I hope they enjoy it as much as we did!! And Erin, if I win I will share the prize!!


WARNING!!!
This is not a recipe that can be modified into a low-calorie version.
It just wouldn't be any good.

The ingredients are very simple.
1.    1 deep dish pre-baked pie crust (I find mine in the freezer section of the grocery store)
2.    Tomatoes, I used 4 small tomatoes and a handful of grape tomatoes from my garden, use your best   
       judgement and wing it;)
3.    A handful of basil, about 15-20 leaves, stems removed
4.    3/4 cup REAL mayonaise, you all know I love Dukes;)
5.    3/4 cup shredded parmesan
6.    3/4 cup shredded provolone (I know that provolone comes sliced, but you can easily roll up about  4 slices and shred it up!)
7.    3 slices of provolone (for the bottom of your crust)


First things first!
Get a couple layers of paper towels down.
Slice your tomatoes...I don't know exactly how thick, but probably around 1/4 inch.
Place your slices on the paper towels.
Sprinkle with pepper and a tiny bit of salt.
You want your tomatoes to release some of their water so your pie doesn't become watery.
After about 10 minutes, flip your maters'!
Sprinkle with pepper only.
Leave for at least another 10 minutes.  While the maters' are workin'...
Mix up your mayonnaise and shredded cheeses.
Take your basil and tuck all of the leaves into each other...
Then take your scissors and snip, snip, snip!
Right on top of the mayonnaise and cheese mixture, then mix it up!
You want to take your 3 slices of Provolone and put them in the bottom of your pre-baked deep dish pie crust.  Now, you can start layering!  Start with your maters'!  Then, "ice" that layer with half of the mayo/cheese/basil mix
Repeat.
Your final layer will be the mayo/cheese/basil mix.
Bake at 375 for about 30-40 minutes
or
until it looks like heaven

Now, this is important!
Let it rest!!!

I would say, about 20-30 minutes.
Then, slice it up!

Now, this is a very rich dish.
So, watch it;)

Okay I took this directly from her blog, word for word, and the picture so I gotta give some credit!  This is a GREAT meal and I can't wait to add some thin sliced onions to it next time!!  And for the record, we ate over half of this, you do not need a side dish at all!  I did some marinated white beans but they quickly got pushed aside for more pie.



2 comments:

  1. So very glad you enjoyed this dish! We love it as well! I have also modified it to bake in a casserole dish and use it as a side item for potluck. If you want to make your own crust, that's fine, but as Tutoo says, why make it when you can buy one that's perfectly good. For the casserole, I just pinch and pull 2 crust together and up the sides of the dish and bake and then follow the recipe to tomato goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you're reading!